Saturday, October 27, 2012

Late to Join the Bandwagon

I admit it. I have a weakness. I am like a child, and when someone tells me to do something, it makes me not want to do it. In fact, I tend to avoid it as much as possible. In some instances, I find myself doing the opposite. So when people have told me to watch a television show, a movie, or read a book series, I tend to stray away from following their advice. What I am learning is that I should really start listening to people, because avoiding their advice and recommendations has left me rather late on joining the bandwagon for many things I have come to love and enjoy.

Take, for example, the Harry Potter books. Way back when the books first came out, I thought the idea was stupid. I resisted reading them. Finally, my mom ordered the first two for me, out of her Avon book, of all places. I was still skeptical, but I eventually picked them up and read them right away. I loved them. I went on to read all the books and see all the movies. I can't even imagine a life without Harry Potter in it, but yet, if my mom wouldn't have started me off with the first two books, I don't think I ever would have read them.

While I never had HBO in order to watch Sex and the City during the time when new episodes aired, (and I was probably too young to watch it), I did see both movies when they were out in theatres. I thought I might enjoy the show, but I never really gave it a second thought. Earlier this year, a friend from work loaned me the first two seasons of the show. Again, I put off watching them. It started out slowly, and I just didn't think I would like it. All of a sudden, I became obsessed! All I wanted to do was watch Sex and the City to see what happened next. I went on the hunt to purchase all the seasons for myself in the exact covers I wanted. I was disappointed when I located all except Season Five at a Target near my house and elated when I went back a month later and discovered it there, on sale. With my collection complete, I have delayed watching Season Six: Part Two simply because I don't want the show to end! On the bright side, I do have both movies to look forward to, since I don't really remember much from those.


For anyone who has read The Hunger Games, you know that explaining the concept to someone else makes the book series sound completely bizarre. I had multiple people tell me to read the book series and attempt to tell me what it was about. I made the decision that I wasn't interested, and the books sounded weird. Then, I don't know what happened - something made me want to read them just to see what all the fuss was about. I received the first book for my birthday, and I then delayed reading the books for two months. When I finally picked it up, I read all three books and saw the first movie within a week. I became completely obsessed. I developed a crush on Peeta. (No, not Josh Hutcherson - Peeta, the character from the book). I was annoyed to stop and go to the bathroom or eat. All I wanted to do was read my books. Now, I can't possibly imagine waiting over a year before I can see Catching Fire on the big screen, the next installment of the trilogy and my favorite book of the series.

Perhaps the one bandwagon I was slowest to jump on has been Twilight. I simply was not interested in vampires, and I thought I would be cheating on Harry Potter in reading another series. Since I like to read books before I see the movies, I have been sure to avoid each and every one of them. I ordered all four books online ages ago when they were on sale, but they have sat on my bookshelf collecting dust since. Finally, this week, I sat down and started reading the first one. Much to my dismay, I actually have enjoyed what I've read so far. My new dilemma is whether I want to read one book at a time and watch the movie and so on or if I would rather read all the books before seeing all the movies.

What other bandwagon am I missing? I know 50 Shades of Grey is looming in my future, but am I missing the boat on something else? What bandwagons have you been late to jump on? I am certain I can't be the only one out there so resistant to the recommendations of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment