Monday, March 28, 2011

Spring Fever

Typically, I don't remember getting this feeling of spring fever inside. I actually don't mind the long, cold winters we experience here in Wisconsin. (After all, it makes for great hair-straightening weather). At a certain point, I get sick of the snow, but the cold usually withers away by the end of March, and signs of spring arrive.

Right now, we are experiencing unseasonably cold temperatures, and it feels like winter will never end. It looks sunny and pleasant outside, but I still have to wear my bulky winter coat and mittens when I go outside. I can still see my breath in the cold, I still get frost on my car, and the heat still runs far too often inside our cozy condo.

So, I started thinking - when is spring ever going to get here?

They say that by the end of this week, temperatures should go up and get closer to normal. But for now, I feel like we are experiencing the never-ending winter. I'm probably being over-dramatic.

You know, I don't even like spring all that much. It's full of rain and mud and melting mush. For me to get spring fever, things must be cold. I just want to be able to go outside and read or write. We have a tiny little balcony with a table and two chairs, only I've never used it. Summers get too hot in the afternoon, since our condo faces the west, and the sun beats down in the afternoons. What I need is a relaxing, spring afternoon to enjoy the balcony, as it was meant to be enjoyed.

Thankfully, I do get a break from the cold - for a day this week, the husband, some family, and I are heading up to stay overnight in a four-bedroom villa at an indoor water park about an hour away. Nothing like breaking out the bikini a few months early and enjoying some time indoors in 80+ degree temperatures. Perhaps by the time we come home, spring will have arrived. It sure has been taking its sweet time.

No comments:

Post a Comment