Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Cubicle Resistant

At the age of just 23, I have now been laid off from two different jobs within the same company in the last month or so. Neither were performance or attendance-related, and the second one was somewhat expected after helping that branch out for about a month. All Managers and Supervisors involved told me many times I can use them for references, so I am pretty confident in the fact that it was nothing personal - just a matter of being hired at the wrong time and them not having enough work to keep me busy and require my services any longer.

One thing I have learned from this short stint in cubicle life is that I don't like it. Not one bit.

I know. It's what we, as Americans, do. We wake up early, we head off to that 8/9-5:00 job in rush hour traffic (both ways), we come home, have dinner, watch some television, and head to bed at an early hour. Grocery shopping and errands can be taken care of on the weekends, when we spend time with our families and friends and attempt to have social lives. Now, call me crazy, but who actually enjoys that routine? Just because it's what everyone else does, why do we have to do it?

I am not a morning person. I absolutely hate waking up early. Every once in a while, sure, no problem. But, having an obnoxious alarm clock going off at 5:30 every morning, (followed by two other alarms since it is that difficult to drag myself out of bed, and I'm always afraid I will fall back asleep), is no way to live. That feeling of waking up early and dragging myself off to work for eight hours, (with an hour unpaid lunch break in between), is something I think I'd be happy if I never felt again.

After sitting...just sitting there, at a desk, staring at a computer monitor all day, in my own little personal box without a ceiling, once 5:00 rolled around, I could finally drag myself back home. There, I'd cook dinner, try to get some cleaning done, catch up on some DVRed shows, and try to crank out a blog, all without falling asleep on the couch prior to 10:00. I felt like I had no free time because all I did was work during the day and sit on the couch most of the night before going to bed.

The best thing about not having to be at work everyday? I can go out to breakfast with my family at the Cracker Barrel. Do you have any idea how delicious breakfast is at the Cracker Barrel? Something is just even better about it when I don't have to work and can accompany some fine people on their breakfast excursion. I love going out to breakfast. Please, please don't ever take that away from me. It is just too...delightful. Who wants to scarf down a piece of raisin toast and eat 100 calorie pack snacks in the morning to make it through to lunch when you can go out for breakfast instead?

Due to the reasons listed above, I have determined I am cubicle resistant. I don't want to sit in one ever again. In fact, I might be allergic. I am going to make this work-from-home-business a success. Then, who's going to lay me off? Myself? I think not! It's the perfect solution to all my problems. I can wear sweatpants to work, I can decide when I start working, when I stop working, when I eat breakfast, when I eat lunch, when I want a day off, and when I want to take a vacation. It's no wonder working from home is the next big craze - there must be a lot of other cubicle resistant folks like myself out there, too.

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck to you always thinkin! I hope things work out for you. The at-home business life is certainly something that can both be enjoyable and difficult. I hope that it works out for you better than it is for me.

    ReplyDelete