Saturday, April 16, 2011

Goodreads: Where Have You Been All My Life?

Recently, I stumbled upon a delightful website called Goodreads. I'm not entirely sure how I ended up there - maybe a friend posted something on Facebook or Twitter? Regardless, I immediately decided this was my new favorite website. In fact, as someone with an English degree, I can't believe I never knew about it before!

Basically, Goodreads is a website you can use to keep track of every book you have ever read or want to read. Then, once you've completed the book, you are able to rate it and write a review. It has a ton of great features, including an app for my phone, polls you can vote in about books, and a way to set a goal for yourself on how many books you are going to read throughout the year. (I set mine for 20. I didn't join until last month). Then, it will even keep track of how far along you are when it comes to your goal. (You can scroll to the bottom of the page to monitor my progress).

I only have four friends on Goodreads, but you know, that's okay. I'm sure there will be more eventually, and it isn't like Facebook, where I feel like people all have competitions to see how many friends they can get. Goodreads is just a great place to share books you've read and loved (or hated) and get some new recommendations on what to read from your friends and peers.

If you're the type of person that loves to read as much as I do, you simply have to join this site. I am someone who likes to set goals, and I do so much better with achieving them when they are in writing somewhere. What better way to get back into my habit of reading books like crazy than to have an actual graphic that reminds me I'm behind where I should be? (13% at the moment). Just make sure that if you do join, turn that whole connect to Facebook feature off. I missed unchecking one little box, and suddenly, all the books from the Pretty Little Liars series showed up as books I wanted to read on my Facebook wall, among others. (Woops). Talk about embarrassing...

No comments:

Post a Comment